Monday, June 8, 2009

Relief

Here is what my back yard feels like:

It's around 9:30 in the evening and the temperature is in the mid 60's. There is a light breeze and the scent of honeysuckle wafts by my place on the steps every few minutes. If I wait in the darkness, almost holding my breath, and focus on the woods beyond the dirt, I see the first of the lightning bugs and my heart sighs. Tree frogs ping messages back and forth, croaking and chirping and thrumming, sounding like little kid cellos and cat gut guitars, all across my back yard. There is a whole life beyond the bank of trees in my back yard, and all I can do is hear it, alive and well beyond the curtain of pines and crepe myrtles.

2 comments:

Tom Hudgens said...

Hey kiddo,............you describe it so well. It sounds like a quiet interlude in a piece of music; now if you want a quick forte I can send you a whole chorus of frogs who are now playing on golfbrook crt/

Samantha said...

your tree frogs are even better than ours, dad-- i love your backyard, too :) a LOT