Thursday, March 10, 2011

Grading

Something short.

I was grading papers earlier and the letters had started to run together-- multiple choice tests with answer keys, one long page of numbers with letters A, B, C, or D alternating all the way down. My brain feels like it's going to turn to soup when I'm grading those things-- I save the essay portion for later.

Anyway, I was grading a paper when I realized that I had started grading the key instead of the student's paper. I had just gotten so into the "A, D, D, A, C, B, B, ad infinitum" zone that I didn't even notice. When I finally realized what I was doing, I had to go back and fix my key and regrade the paper.

Sometimes I think we do that with the Lord, with much more serious consequences. Somewhere along the walk, we begin to grade Him according to our thoughts and ideas, our opinions, our desires (both carnal and spiritual)... confusion sets in when we realize that we got off somewhere and somehow, our minds are no longer in line with the mind of Christ. Sometimes we repent and refocus... other times, we continue trying to live according to a new "key" and call it righteous.

I wonder how many areas of my life I've done that in. Started grading God's key with my test, instead of the other way around.

Selah.

1 comment:

Emmeline McWilliams said...

I've been reading Holiness of God by R.C. Sproul and have found it to be helpful (and convicting!) in this area... how often I forget how HOLY he is - and how his Holiness is so other, that I don't even really know that word means - and if I did have a better understanding, my view of the world and my life would be different! (If you haven't read that, I HIGHLY recommend it!)

Miss you - wish I lived closer so we could get coffee and catch up. But I'm thankful nonetheless for technology and the ability to keep up with you at least a little bit!

Love,
emmeline