Friday, December 17, 2010

Journal #20

This was too good not to share.

I threw my kids a journal topic at the last minute because I needed them to chill before heading into review time for exams. They were just wild things, loping and cackling into the room like adolescent muppets on crack. I told them to settle their feathers and get out their journals. That always seems to calm everyone down.

Here was the prompt (paraphrasing): Write a fable featuring your household pet (discussion about what a fable is, blah blah blah).

So one of my favorite little guys-- let's call him Oscar because I don't have any Oscars this year-- writes this:

"Once upon a time there was a horse named Harrold. He hated to eat apples but he ate one every day. The reason for this is because Harrold hated one thing more than apples-- he hated the doctor. So every day, Harrold eats an apple to keep the doctor away. But today, Harrold forgot his apple and had to go to the doctor. Turns out, Harrold didn't have such a bad time at the doctor's office.

"So Harrold doesn't eat an apple a day any more to keep the doctor away because the doctor's not that bad."

HAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!

Okay, it's not a perfect fable, but if you're hanging out on that point, you're MISSING IT!

It's classic. In so many ways. I'm totally going to do something with it. And Oscar's little brain is just stuffed with stuff like this. I can't wait to see what he's going to come up with second semester. Please feel free to send me any creative writing prompts you have-- I'm all over it. It would be cool to use your ideas and let them see what they can do with them. It'd be fun, too.

Later, all!

4 comments:

Kim said...

Samantha (I'm a friend of Fawn, and Russell Bingham).
I sometimes attend a prompt writing class here in NC.
Some of the prompts: a time I did something I didn't want to do; staying in bed; what cause would you be willing to sacrifice for; write a letter to your skin; listening; what I carried in high school; flowers; doorway; a favorite meal; write something about the person to your left.
We've pulled words out of hats (earth/refrigerator), looked at postcards from the Fifties, children's books. It's a great way to jog the write side of the brain (ha!).
"Oscar" sounds awesome.

Melissa said...

Hey Sam, I absolutely love the anti-fairy tales. Maybe you could do a prompt for them to invert a classic tale? Tell it from the "other" perspective? I'd love to see that!

Tom Hudgens said...

Hey Sam, You would never use one of my ideas anyway, so I won't send one Na nana na na

your loving and ignored Dad!

Samantha said...

Dad!!!! Try me!!