Monday, March 30, 2009

Freshman cut-downs

Today, we were talking about chronological order in writing (they're freshmen, you know). So I asked them, as part of their writing warm-up, to describe their morning routines. Some of them were hysterical and we learned a lot about each other. But the one that stuck with me was written by one of my boys-- we'll call him "C"-- who talked about what happens when he gets on the bus. I couldn't help myself-- I started laughing before I realized that I should probably launch into a speech about bullying...

"So then I get on the bus, and I usually sit back on the, like, 15th row, you know. And me and my boys, we always cut up on this one kid who wears these really bright no-name shoes. See, he got this hurricane symbol on his shoes, so we call him 'Category 5'..."

3 comments:

Tom said...

Hey Kiddo,''

You know you ought to pull all these together some day and put them in a book. What would the title be?

dad

Frontera Girl said...

I shouldn't be enjoying the genuis of "catagory 5", given the circumstances, but I do!

Samantha said...

you'll have to help me with the title, dad!! i have a kid in one of my classes who is a title GENIUS, so i'll be consulting with him, too :)

kristin, i hear you. oh my gosh, it was impressive. i couldn't help laughing along with them. later i told him that he needs to be nice to people...