Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Going green

Or rather, sort of a mucous-y yellow color. Yellow green. Snot green.

This is the time of year when we southerners forget about washing our cars. Everything is covered with pollen-- shameless evidence of the great fertility dance nature is doing all day long, right in front of our eyes. Children walk about congested, eyes and noses runny with plant sperm, while the trees begin to turn a green that can only be described as verdant, fairly pulsing with newness. Cherry blossom trees are exploding in color and azaleas are beginning to peak their pink, white and red blossoms out of thick green shells...it's lovely this time of year.

But I'm ready for those April showers. So my car can be cute again. I am so shallow. Rain dance anyone?

I'm headed into that most dreaded of seasons: two pieces of Shakespeare at once. Yes, yes. I LOVE talking about more modern novels-- Lord of the Flies, Night, Separate Peace-- oh my gosh, they were wonderful. And on the other side of Romeo and Juliet is To Kill A Mockingbird (seriously, how fabulous is my life? Every day is book club. Well, a book club where all of the other members are hostages, but still), so I have that to tide me over. But Shakespeare...ugh.

Now, if I were teaching Tempest... we endured that, what, three times in grad school? Hilarious. Anyway, I love watching Shakespeare, love reading it on my own, but I suppose I just feel... I don't know. I feel good about getting kids excited about more modern readings, but feel really bad at talking them into liking the language of this author. I wish that there was some sort of secret to opening their minds to the language. So many people have written so many books with this dilemma in mind... Refer them to songs, to verse, to modernized versions which employ Elizabethan language coupled with current costumes and situations.... but I HATE the DeCaprio version of this play. Ugh. Too violent. Though I will likely look at it at some point...

And at the same time, I have agreed to do Midsummer Night's Dream with my other class.... Ugh. The teacher who talked me into promised to coach me through it one afternoon-- we're hoping to take the kids to the Renaissance Festival along with it. I don't even know if I spelled Renaissance correctly.

Anyway, off to bed.

House stuff still in process. If you're reading and you're a prayer, please throw one up for us (hm. interesting image, that).

Meanwhile, check out this FANTASTIC Romeo & Juliet poster from Georgia Shakespeare Festival ---->

2 comments:

Jacquie said...

Sam,
I wouldn't be surprised if you've thought of this already, but I couldn't help but want to comment with this info: http://www.shakespearetavern.com/coming_up.htm

The Shakespeare Tavern is a fantastic opportunity for high schoolers to see these plays. General Admission is $12, but I recall there being student and/or group discounts. Also, the theater serves a dinner menu, which makes the whole experience more memorable for young adults and adults alike.

Perhaps more than any other Shakespeare troupe, the one permanently housed in Atlanta really brings the plays to life and makes them contemporary and relevant (with sexual tension to boot, too!). My high school German teacher made it a point to have a yearly Shakespeare Tavern event for her students; even now I can't wait to get back one day. And they're playing Midsummer Night's Dream soon!

I hope you're well, Sam Swaney! Good luck with the Bard!

Love,
Jacquie

Samantha said...

hey girl!! YES, we missed our opportunity with this...but i'm definitely planning on it for next year. don said that when his school went last year, these kids were talking right around the place where Juliet was waxing poetic (truly) and they just kept on. well, he said that this actress was so smooth-- in the middle of her lines she stops, looks at the table full of boys and tells them to "kindly shut up" and slips right back into what she was saying. he said she never even broke character.

you know she hates those high school groups!!! AIGH!!!

missing you and your little pixie self, hauth. hoping Vanderbilt is treating you well!!!