Monday, February 4, 2008

...then came the rain

It's funny, coming out from under a cloud of doom. Have you ever made it through a car wreck or a really bad breakup or a scary point in a movie and realized all of a sudden that you needed to breathe again? Paralyzed by fear or anxiety, the world locks up on you and then, when it all smoothes out again, your arms are still locked on the wheel and your foot is still slamming down on the brake or you're still bracing for another hit... and it's over.

I haven't walked outside since Thursday evening.

I'm serious. Until about 3 hours ago, I have been holed up in my house alternately covered up with piles of blankets or sweating like I paid for it, but inside. When I walked outside a few hours ago, fever-free and clean at last, it felt like spring. I went inside and it was winter and Don was staring down the barrell of all kinds of trouble and when I came out, it was a little balmy and he had the look of life about him again. Nice, coming outside again.

Also, I wanted to post this fantastic quote that I read on my friend Kevin's facebook page. He's a serious, serious Jack Kerouac fan and that is officially one of my favorite things about Kevin-- he's this young, hip reporter for NPR who is fully capable of having intelligent, meaningful conversations about God and faith and his own feelings about things-- and he genuinely likes a poet that most people only wish they liked and whose name they drop without conviction. I'm ashamed to admit that I probably have more in common with the latter of those two.

"The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes 'Awww!'”
-Jack Kerouac

Fantastic.

No comments: