Saturday, January 12, 2008

Still faithful

Here is something that I saw on a friend's blog earlier: "I hate not trusting; that is so difficult. Especially because I know he is faithful if we are."

Oh my heart! One of the most beautiful truths that was opened up to me in the earliest days of my relationship with the Lord, this verse that set me free, was this:

If we are faithless, He remains faithful, for He cannot deny Himself (2 Timothy 2:13).

Oh to know that there is ONE thing that He cannot do! And that this thing is to my eternal benefit! He cannot fail! He cannot deny Himself-- another version says that He cannot prove false to Himself, while another says that He will never be untrue to himself.

Have you ever been to a party and talked to people all night long and laughed and worked the room all night long only to get into your car afterward and wince at something you did or said? Maybe remembering the way you slighted someone or cut someone off or snubbed someone or revealed something you weren't supposed to talk about? It's been a while since I pulled off an event of THAT magnitude (me doing all of those things in one night has definitely happened, I'm sure), but I have felt the burn of shame when I thought back over a thoughtless comment or word, and I think to myself, "Samantha, that's not YOU."

But God can never do that. He will never accidentally hurt or humiliate us-- we do not need to fear working on being good or faithful so that He will be, too. It's right to seek Him and to grow in those things, but to do them so that He will be good...one of the countless beautiful things about Him is the fact that His goodness doesn't depend on a thing we do: He's going to be good whether we get things right or not!! Yay God!!

It's such a simple concept, but if we could get it waaaay down deep in our spirits, how much more freedom would we all be walking in? OH I want to get this word deep in my heart...

He is good because He cannot be anything but Himself.

No comments: