Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Some good things :)

Well, the T-yota bit the dust. Yes, it happened. Actually, very soon after the last post in which I talked about it being a fairly crappy car...wow, I feel pretty unfaithful saying that. Anyway, next morning the tire blew out on the way to school. One of my colleagues came and got me-- it was close to school and Don's phone was on silent by then-- and that afternoon, Don changed the tire.

And it was an event.

It took 45 minutes.

Now, my husband can fix pretty much anything. And being married to me, he has fixed his share of car things and changed a couple of tires! But that afternoon, there he was, sweating and lying on the cement in his good school clothes, trying to get the tire off.... the tire had actually RUSTED TO THE WHEEL!!!!

So it was decided.

The reason I didn't post right away was because I wanted to post with it a picture of the sign I had taped into the car when I had to leave it for the day-- I had to say that "this car is not abandoned" because that's just how crappy it looked.

Things are different now. I have a car which is reliable and I have a car that I look forward to getting into at the end of a long day doing mental gymnastics and biting my sarcastic tongue (don't even get me started on the girl I busted sniffing old-school permanent markers. I almost just told her not to worry about it because, as nice as she is, I'm fairly certain she does not have any brain cells to kill, but anyway...). This is the first time in my life that I have a car that was made in the decade I am presently living in and I'm not worried about driving it to see my niece in Suwannee.

Other things I am thankful for:
*This gorgeous rain-- thank you Jesus!!!
*My 10th grade class. Wow, they are great.
*Bridge to Terebithia (the book). Tear-jerker. Read it.
*Trader Joe's $3 wine
*my classroom: The Swaney Cafe
*my colleagues
*oh, my friends
*conversations about the Lord during planning period
*getting a paycheck
*having money to tithe
*students who share their hearts after class
*students who aren't afraid to laugh with me
*the 50 foot cable thingy I installed today, thus setting up my student computer in my classroom. After 9 weeks of school. Hm. Anyway...
*my gorgeous, generous, hilariously human husband (alliteration anyone?)
*finding a radio station with fantastic teaching to listen to on the way to school in the morning- 102.7
*kristen's new job
*kristin's new name
*the moon tonight-- on the way home, it was ENORMOUS over the horizon with big poofy clouds all around it. :)
I could go on, but it's important that I go work on the torture-- I mean coursework-- for tomorrow.

2 comments:

Jonathan Andersen said...

You can't leave us hanging like that... what kind of car is it!?!

Samantha said...

OH YES!!! :) I forgot!! It's a black Passat station wagon, '03. Jonathan, it's exactly what I have wanted this whole time-- year and everything. It's still weird being able to lock my doors (b/c, you know, the thing key was starting to twist at the neck and Toyota doesn't make the one (a key)for that car anymore, and it was TOO STRIPPED DOWN to copy it-- even at the dealership!!!) and having air conditioning-- wow.