Saturday, September 1, 2007

Hm...

So, last week I wrote, "things happen every day that are not [God's] will."

Is that true?

Two things: Jesus prayed that God's will would be "done on earth, even as it is in heaven." Okay, so He instructs us to pray for it. Does that mean that it doesn't happen all the time?

But doesn't the word also assert that there is nothing that exists under heaven which isn't allowed and even planned by God? It's this whole question of sovereignty and omniscience/-potence.... Does God limit Himself? Is it necessary, for the sake of free will, for God to limit Himself?

Hm.

Bottom line, He is perfect and whatever comes into question is strictly limited to our incredible ignorance in the face of His brilliance: this I know. So there are no worries, regardless of what the above answers are. But it does lead one to think....

Okay, I'm going back to cleaning (how cool am I? We are cleaning the house on a Saturday night? Married life is so glamorous... :) But we're together, and that's pretty fantastic), and I recognize that it's incredibly irresponsible to leave the above thoughts without biblical references (because I SERIOUSLY paraphrased, to the point of possibly misquoting an enormous theological idea), but I'm going to have to come back to it in a little while. I was just thinking of it while I was cleaning the toilet and wanting to jot it down for later pondering...

1 comment:

Once upon a time in a faraway land... said...

This is the big question - I hear Dean Sherman quoting Paul to Timothy that God desires that all men be saved - but they clearly aren't. So that's why we are to pray for His Kingdom to come and His Will to be done here on earth as it is in heaven. So - this is my 2 cents worth...
Love ya!