Sunday, February 25, 2007

home stretch

so, i have only a handful of days left teaching my home-made unit, and i think it's going to be good. i hope. it's so funny-- so much of what i come up with is only as successful as the students i am working with are willing to buy it. it makes the planning of it tricky. my charisma and plucky personality can only take me so far when it comes to this. the reality is, if Girl A (a frightful ...angel...who, it seemed, attempted to humiliate me in front of my evaluating professor by throwing a-- yes, from an 8th grader-- tantrum on the way into class. she actually glanced at him before she started crying foul play for something i am still unclear about, but which happened before she got to class...) doesn't feel like doing what i think would be great fun, she will do everything short of throwing herself on the floor, banging her head and hands and crying, "it's not faaaaair". oh my.

my thought here is that i have begun to join the ranks of the "deeply-mystified-by-middle-schoolers" teachers. i'm open to suggestions about...um... helping them sort through their deep, dark behavior issues. it's not like this in youth group. there's a whole other way of dealing with the monster that is middlus schoolus kiddie-poous at youth group. and you have the strength of the high schoolers on your side there. sigh.

back to work.

No comments: