Wednesday, July 19, 2006

feathers from emmeline's nest

i've been thinking about the power of our words, and the beauty of sharing revelations with each other. my friend emmeline shared this most beautiful thing with me today, and i have to post it here...

(from elisabeth elliott): "How far shall we go with Him who calls us to fellowship with Himself? Shall we stop dead in our tracks if the water is bitter? Shall we turn tail and run if we glimpse a cross? 'Whoever cares for his own safety is lost' (Mt. 16:25 NEB). Think of missing the miracle of the water. Think of missing the resurrection..."

I prayed, over and over, the prayer at the end of the devotional: "Savior Christ, I want to go the whole way. Keep me from faltering today. Show the tree that transforms bitter water, and help me live in its shade." He showed me the tree that transformed this journey - himself! The gift of his love and friendship and understanding - His faithfulness in providing support not in the time that I thought he should, but in his perfect time. I needed to get to the end of myself. The end of my expectations, my desires. When I did, I found fellowship with him that was sweeter than anything else.

emmeline's reference is taken from Exodus 15...her summary of that story: The Lord has just delivered the Israelites from the Egyptians at the Red Sea, and Moses leads them into the desert for three days where they could not find any water. Finally God leads them to Marah, but the water there was bitter and undrinkable. So they start complaining, muttering amongst themselves about wanting something to drink.

Verse 25 says: Then Moses cried out to the LORD, and the LORD showed him a piece of wood. He threw it into the water, and the water became sweet.

how many times have we cried out to the Lord that the water is bitter? how many times have we cried out that the burden is too heavy, that the darkness is too dark, that the depression is too heavy... ? and He would tell us, as He spoke to emmeline in the embrace of their friendship and intimacy, that He threw Himself into the waters for us.....

emmeline wrote: God leads us (even Christ) to pools of bitter water, so that he can glorify himself by making it sweet for us.

Selah.

No comments: